Thursday 28 June 2012

Orcs in the House game 2 of 3


HE vs OnG ode to the 6 dice monkey

Game 2 means it's time for the High Elves to defend the pass.


My list:

Prince on moon dragon: GW, armour of caledor, vambraces of defence,  other trickster's shard
lvl2: scroll, high magic (drain magic, shield, flames of phoenix)
BSB: DA, GW
38 Spears: FC-flame
2x10 archers: m
26 White lions: FC-amulet of light
26 White lions: FC
2 Eagles

So rather compact list, but a robust list designed to punch holes panzer style.

Anywho deployment:




TURN ONE:

High Elves:
I get first turn and advance with style. The right most Wlion unit enters the forest (stupid forest). The rest of the army pushes forward towards Ronald, spider riders, and ddiver hoping to use the building to split the Orcs and get behind them. Only concern was the trolls swinging to help support, but they should be an easy beat.


 Magic = IF shield on spears, and lvl2 takes a wound. Shooting pings a wound off the spider riders.

OnG:
Everything just kinda moves up. The Manglers move the most and threaten to destroy my wlions in the forest. Ronald feels a little picked on, so moves back a bit to the sound of much booing and hissing from the crowd.


I stop the scary spells (hand and foot).

TURN TWO:

High Elves:
Well, not much to do except continue to put pressure on Ronald, Eagles play catch the Mangler and the Wlions in the forest fail their first of many failed ldship tests, so stumble forward.

 

In the magic phase I IF (again), but this time casting drain magic = small explosion killing the lvl2 (who needs magic anyway??), taking away my crucial scroll, and killing 4 archers.

 
Since all my archers moved up, there was no shooting to note.

OnG:

 The OnG turn starts with a gobbo chariot charge on the stupid Wlions. Stupid giving ItP = I had to wear the charge and hope the dice were favourable. The dice were favourable in that Ronald failed his march blocked test and could not get away from all the scary stuff. HOWEVER in the magic phase Ronald escapes with a hand from Gork. In other news the Trolls take the bait and enter the building.

 
In the above pick the Wlions have taken two wounds from the chariots, cut them down, then combat reformed (gotta love the rules for that!) around the front left model to fact off with Ronald. Distance to Savages is 17 inch, so safe.

TURN THREE:

High Elves:
So now to execute my clever plan. Archers charge solo troll to get out the way (check-fails charge, but moves far enough to get out of the way). Wlions pass stupid test to charge Ronald (fail...), Dragon rolls 6 or more to successfully take out doomdiver (fail...). Not looking good. So plan B comes into play-Wlions and spears turn to face Ronald. My thinking being that I can stop Foot OR Hand, so want to force Ben to cast Hand not Foot.



Shooting takes a wound off Ronald.

OnG:
Ronald, feeling a little trapped decides it's a good time to learn to pass ldship tests and marches away to safety.


Gork then gets angry and IF's foot on Stupid whitelions...



and Doomdiver takes 2 wounds from Dragon.  Trolls exit building Behind Wlions (as expected).

TURN FOUR

High Elves:
Dragon decides he can now casually glide into the Doomdiver, Wlions turn to face the trolls . In other news the Rest of my army starts to gang up on Ronald.



Note the archers behind the weakened wlions to catch Ronald for spear fun times.

Dragon vs Doomdiver....Prince hits 3 times and then rolls 3 1's to wound. Dragon finishes the job-reforms to make a Troll sandwich (as planned).

 
OnG:
As predicted Ronald exits stage right towards my lines (and in keeping chase I keep my stuff away from his blocks). I'm up on points so comfortable to do this-especially as the Trolls are effectively free points at this stage... Trolls fail stupid so dont charge (love that subtle rule change from 7th). The main Orc bus enters the building and Savages stroll across. I think it is this turn the lobba blows up, or it could have been earlier. Either way it didnt do anything all game and died without my help.  Now come the magic phase...6 dice monkey Foot results in this:



yes, 2 direct hits on the spears effectively removing any chance I had at killing Ronald.

TURN FIVE:

High Elves:
So Troll Sandwich it is.


 Everything else does a disappearing act to avoid the (now scary) spider.



In the Combat I kill 3 trolls, break them and they come frustratingly close to running off the board edge, rolling a 10 to flee which I cannot catch.


OnG:
Ronald continues to be scary, but not "in combat" scary. Trolls are handed to safety and Dragon is footed down to 1 wound (prince took 2 wounds from Troll vomit, so very close to dead). Somehow I have turned around-not sure how that happened. I think this might all happen a turn earlier-or we played 7 turns...



TURN SIX??:

High Elves:
I charge into the trolls,


 and the stupid Small White lion unit fails march block test so cannot get away = Swift reform to face, maximise attacks and move up to engage (dont think I could get an archer unit in the way to block.).



I beat the Trolls (kill down to 1 wound left), but story of my life = it flees away, blocking the savages, but preserving the points.


OnG:
Savages cant charge = awesome, but Ronald gets his pain on. I pass terror, but fail fear once in combat = Ronald lives with 2 wounds left, but wlions die. I did the combat again with a passed fear check, and I still get wiped out with Ronald on  1 wound left....damn.

RESULT:

With the last troll alive and a White lion unit dead I lose the game-but not by much. All his chaff had died and I had some serious points left on the board saving me from a serious defeat. As I said earlier if 8th was pointed based on battle field position I think I successfully broke through the pass with Wlions and Dragon on the way through, but with everything else running for safety. Only Ronald made it past the half way mark from the Orcs, so they were not very good at getting through the pass.


Player of the match: lvl4 shaman with some very well timed Hand and Footing. Even if the Foots still went off, without the hand I would have killed Ronald and got the Trolls (ie my original plan) for an easy win. Just goes to show how sneaky the Orcs can be and also how well written their book is. All day there was not a single failed animosity test, and the army was scary to face with lots of hurt and sneaky tricks to upset the best of plans. I was also starting to suspect that the winds of magic favoured the green as 2nd game in a row where my Mage died very early on to miscasts....

Game three to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment