Sunday 22 July 2012

Jumping on the Battle Wagon...my first game of 6th


First Game of 6th 40K

Hi all.

Just a wee break from my usual Fantasy schedule to give a rundown of my first game of 6th 40k. I've given the rule book a wee bit of a read, but most of my "rules knowledge" has come from the forums...good thing my opponent Ryan is a keen 40k tournament player and has a few games under his belt...so I pretty much did whatever he said!

My list (net-list fiends please take note):

Bikerboss: PKlaw, attack squig, cyborg body
Megamek
10 Lootas
10 Lootas
5 Nobbikers: cyborg bodies
               painboy
               3 Pklaws
               Waagh Banner-'uge choppa (well 'uge banner that hurts when smacked around the head!)
20 Shoota Boyz: Pklaw nob, 2 Big Shootas
20 Shoota Boyz: Pklaw nob, 2 Big Shootas
10 Grots: Runtherd
Rokkitcopta
Rokkitcopta
Battlewagon:
               Kannon, 4 Big Shootas, Deff-rolla

To be honest, this is not that much different from my 5th ed list-except I have no trukks, have dakka'ed up the wagon and added more lootas.

Ryan brought to the battle some Marines (I think Orks call then Beakies)

Captain on bike: 2+ armour, 4+ invul, relic blade, combiplasma
5 bikes: 2 melta, multimelta attack bike, combi flamer on captain
5 bikes: 2 melta, multimelta attack bike
4 bikes, 2 plasma, multimelta attack bike
2 Typhoon landspeeders
2 Typhoon landspeeders
Vindicator
Vindicator
Thunderfire cannon

A rather scary list. Lots of s10 to ignore my FNP, typhoons of dumb, bikers for speed and the thunderfire cannon to ignore the cover saves that keep Orks in the game.

We rolled the "relic mission" (1 objective in centre of board worth 3 VPS that can be picked up and moved by troop choices, first blood 1VP, kill general 1 VP, unit in opposing deployment zone 1 VP) and diagonal deployment.  This is great as it lets me put down the outhouse objective (the only roll of toilet paper left in the sector) to give the battle a deeper meaning.

Ryan deployed first and I failed to seize the initiative ...+ there was no night fighting at the beginning...yay for me...


Ryan had a few options to get first blood. He opted to try pound one of my boyz squads into the ground. Thunderfire cannon did most of the work (along with frag-tastic typhoons), but the mob survived, but were no longer an effective unit (except for last minute objective run...). One of his bike squads makes a ballsy move and rushes to block my lootawagon from rampaging and avoids the deff-rolla by charging the 2nd boyz squad-gotta love fearless when wounding on 6's and the Nob cant kill a sergeant in combat (1 hit, failed to wound...). 40 Overwatch shots didn't kill anyone, but I did kill the attackbike in combat.

My turn starts with me realising that Lootas are also just like Orks in combat...and have a megamek in tow who can rip apart the bikers...so they hop out of the battlewagon and charge into the combat...bikers wiped out and first blood to me. My shooting phase starts with lootas vs the captain's bike squad...rolled a 1 for # of shots woot. Rokkitcoptas stay hidden. Nobbikers get shots on one of the typhoon squads and take a hull point. Dakkawagon lets rip on the other typhoon squad and also gets a hull point with the bigshootas (all main turret mounted with the Kannon for max shooting awesomeness).

It had to happen sooner or later...the vindicators draw LOS to the bikers and open up. 1 (thankfully) scatters, the other hits, I fluff cover save, and kills 3 bikers (waagh banner, 1 Pklaw, and painboy-didnt see the point of it when all threat shooting was s10). The 1st boyz mob takes more hits and it shot down to 4, but they stick around. The captain's squad sees an opportunity to kill the lootas and moves up to charge. shooting kills 2, I overwatch (another 1 for # of shots) killing 1 = fails charge!!!!!

So ball in my court-megamek moves up to engage the captain's bikers (yay for power weapons now being ap3). Warboss and the 2 remaining bikers rip apart a vindicator. Lootas + dakkawagon+remaining boyz+ megamek shoot at the captain's bikes...nothing. Other lootas and rokkitcoptas shoot at the landspeeders and take 1 out. In combat I do a wound to captain, captain does a wound back and we hold.  Meanwhile the grots start advancing on the objective...

Remaining vindicator misses the nobbikers, nobbikers pass all coversaves from rest of army shooting at them (well all but 1 as warboss wears a wound) and a plasmagun over heats and kills the rider! Megamek and captain continue to miss each other.

Warboss + nobbikers vs 2nd vindicator = dead vindicator. Lootas FINALLY roll something that isn't a 1 and only 3 can draw LOS = only 1 more shot than if all 8 had shot, but + rokkitcoptas = dead landspeeders. 

Ryan's turn = hide remaining bikers and landspeeder moves up to kill the grots=kill all but 1 + runtherd. My turn = dead landspeeder, nobbikers have objective (with solo grot + runtherd too!) and megamek gets another wound on the captain.

We call the game there  as there is no way Ryan can get the objective back.

So a win to the Orks! and a 100% win record for me.

Things I liked:

Vehicles in Combat-because hull points stripped before roll on table...warboss with 6 attacks can hull point a vehicle to a wreak before having to worry about rolling on table BOOM!

Overwatch-didn't win me the game, but won me the momentum as it stopped the captain's charge.

Combat in general- a whole lot easier to do with the step up system.

The amount of terrain I placed on table- I'm a "more the merrier" kind of guy when it comes to terrain placement. Not a fan of defined terrain lines in 40k because it means you can actively NOT engage in it. My approach is more along the lines of Mordheim = more cover and harder for vehicles to dominate/sit back and gunline ftw. Still works well in 6th. Then again, if I played a marine army I would probably like less terrain!

Pre-measuring-works in fantasy and worked here as well. 

Random Charge range-same as above. 

We didn't get a chance to try the focus fire as most shooting was through cover, so cover save was always 100% of unit. Also didn't get to try slow and purposeful lootas in dakkawagon :( oh well when they remember to shoot more than once they are awesome anyways.

So a successful first outing...all I need to not proxy anything is 1 more box of lootas and 1 box of boyz + convert up my warboss on bike a bit better than current (was proxied with an attack bike) and the army is "done".






1 comment:

  1. Nice work Joel and congrats on the victory. I think I needed to focus earlier on the nob bikers as they ripped my tanks apart and kept me from the objective in the middle. Need more vindicators haha. I probably should have tried positioning better and given focus fire a go, didn't even remember it as a rule to be honest. I have a new evil set up for my captain you aren't going to like much :)

    Well played good sir and I look forward to our next battle.

    ReplyDelete